If you have chronic back pain, you may want to see a back pain chiropractor Bowie, MD residents trust. Chiropractic care is non-invasive and considered much safer than prescription painkillers and surgery. A chiropractor can help realign your spine, ultimately relieving your back pain.
How Chiropractic Treatment Works
Spinal manipulation is one of the most common treatments a chiropractor performs and can treat a wide range of ailments, including back pain.The treatment realigns the spine, reducing pressure on the nervous system. During an adjustment, your chiropractor will use his or her hands to apply pressure to your back to realign your spine and relieve pain. You may feel some pressure during an adjustment, but you shouldn’t experience pain. If you feel too much discomfort, don’t hesitate to let your chiropractor know.
A chiropractor Bowie, MD residents trust may also have you perform several strengthening exercises to perform at home. These exercises are designed to relieve pain, improve strength and increase range of motion in your back. It’s important to keep up with these exercises at home to get the best results.
Lifestyle Changes to Manage Back Pain
In addition to regular spinal manipulation, a back pain chiropractor in Bowie, MD may recommend making certain lifestyle changes to reduce your back pain, such as:
- Improve Your Posture: If you sit slouched in your chair all day, it can put a lot of pressure on your spine, causing back pain. Practice better posture by always sitting up straight with your shoulders pulled back. If you need extra support, try putting a small pillow behind your back.
- Change Your Sleeping Position: The way you sleep can also have a big impact on your back pain. Try sleeping on your side with your knees bent to keep your spine in proper alignment.
- Lose Excess Weight: Extra weight on your body can put stress on your back, resulting in discomfort. If you’re overweight, try lowering your daily caloric intake and exercise most days of the week. Include healthy foods, like fish, chicken and vegetables, in your diet and keep junk food to a minimum.
- Wear Supportive Shoes: If you frequently wear heels, flip flops or other shoes that don’t offer support, they could cause changes in your gait and back pain. If you know you will be on your feet all day, remember to wear comfortable and supportive shoes.
- Stop Smoking: It’s well known that smoking causes lung cancer and heart disease. However, not everyone may be aware that it can result in back pain. Smoking tobacco can prevent oxygen from getting to the discs in your spine, causing pain. Quitting the habit can relieve your back pain and prevent many other health problems.
If you’ve been struggling with back pain, make an appointment with a back pain chiropractor in Bowie, MD.