Chiropractor Bowie, MD
If you are a resident in Maryland who is suffering from any chronic pain or have suffered an injury causing pain, you may be considering seeking out the help of a chiropractor Bowie, MD families trust, such as one from Mid-Atlantic Spinal Rehab & Chiropractic. However, you may be unsure or have questions about whether chiropractic treatment is something that could help you with your condition. The following is an overview of information about what we offer. For more detailed information, contact our office to meet with a chiropractor Bowie, MD patients recommend.
What Is Chiropractic Treatment?
A chiropractic adjustment is also known as spinal manipulation or subluxation. It is a very popular treatment method for pain relief, especially for conditions related to the back and neck. If you have low back pain, sciatica, whiplash, or some other condition that is causing you pain, a chiropractor in Bowie, MD, may be able to help you.
When a chiropractor is treating you, he or she will be focusing on your vertebrae, joints, ligaments, tendons, and muscles. Chiropractic treatment is an excellent choice for a patient who is suffering from nerve, muscle, or joint pain from an accident and chronic pain caused by overuse, poor posture, arthritis, bursitis, tendonitis, and other health conditions.
A misalignment of the spine causes many of these conditions. When the spine becomes misaligned, your joints and muscles can become stiff and tight, which causes pain and a decrease in a person’s range of motion. These misaligned vertebrae can also put pressure on the nerves located in the area, which can also be very painful and interfere with how those nerves communicate with other parts of the body.
A Bowie, MD chiropractor, can develop a treatment plan for a patient that will realign the spine, relieve the pressure on the nerves, relieve the tension and stress in the muscles, decrease inflammation, and improve the patient’s flexibility and range of motion. Some of the more common conditions that a chiropractor can treat are:
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Chronic pain in the back, neck, head, limbs, and other parts of the body
- Headaches and migraines
- Issues with the immune system
- Leg length discrepancy
- Numbness or tingling and limbs
- Pinched nerves
- Poor posture
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Spinal disc issues
- Spinal stenosis
- Sprains and strains
- Temporomandibular Joint Dysfunction (TMJ)
Multiple studies have shown that spinal manipulation and adjustments are very effective in treating back pain, neck pain, migraines, whiplash, osteoarthritis, and many other painful conditions. Many patients find they have improved function and less pain in as little as six weeks after treatments.
There are other types of treatments that chiropractors provide in addition to the spinal adjustments, including:
- Massage: Because massage increases the flow of blood to the injured area, it helps decrease pain, reduce stress, and ease tensions in the muscles.
- Soft tissue mobilization: The chiropractor will very gently stretch and move the soft tissue in the injured area, reducing pain and other symptoms.
- Heat and cold therapy: Alternating with hot and cold packs help alleviate painful symptoms.
- Ultrasound: The chiropractor uses a small, hand-held device that sends ultrasound waves to the injured tissue, helping to decrease swelling, improve the blood flow, and relax the muscle.
- Transcutaneous Electrical Stimulation (TENS): This therapy uses very gentle and low-voltage electrical current to block pain signals.
What to Expect At Your First Appointment
The following will explain to you what you can expect during your first appointment with a chiropractor which will typically:
- Involve a comprehensive exam
- May include the early treatment techniques
- Last for 30 to 45 minutes or more
Following your initial consultation, you may schedule several follow-up appointments that last between 15 and 20 minutes.
Things to Consider Before Your Visit
Before you choose a chiropractor, you might call different clinics to understand their treatment options and services. This initial interview may be done over the phone or in person. Whether this step will be included in your treatment will depend on your circumstances and the clinic.
YOUR FIRST VISIT WITH A BOWIE, MD CHIROPRACTOR
Your first in-office clinical exam may include the following:
A Review of Your Patient History and Symptoms
Once you arrive at our clinic, you will be asked to complete different forms and provide background information about your current condition and symptoms. Some questions the chiropractor or nurse might ask you include:
- Where is the pain?
- When did you first notice the pain?
- What happened?
- How does the pain feel (i.e., sharp, dull, throbbing, etc.)?
- Does the pain come and go?
- Did you experience an injury that may be the cause of the pain (i.e., a car accident)?
- What circumstances or activities make the pain better or worse?
You will very likely be asked to provide a medical history, prior injuries, previous or current medical conditions, any previous or current treatments provided by another medical professional, and more.
Your Chiropractic Exam
A chiropractic exam may include various tests of your blood pressure, respiration, reflexes, and specific orthopedic or neurological tests that assess:
- Your range of motion
- Your muscle tone and strength
- Your neurological integrity
These tests may be required to assess the injured or affected area.
Review of Your Diagnostics
Based upon your medical history and chiropractic exam, a chiropractor might call upon diagnostic studies to assess pathologies or identify structural abnormalities. The most common diagnostic study is an x-ray, but sometimes an MRI will be needed. An x-ray may help to:
- Diagnose a recent trauma
- Diagnose spondyloarthritis
- Examine a deformity of the spine, such as scoliosis
X-rays are not always needed; however, many chiropractors will take one – and sometimes for insurance purposes.
Patient Diagnosis After the Exam
All the findings from your exam, history, and tests can usually help a chiropractor arrive at a diagnosis. Once established, our clinic should know whether or not chiropractic care is appropriate. For example, this treatment is generally not suited to tumors, infections, fractures, or specific surgeries.
At the end of your visit, you will have an understanding of:
- Your diagnosis
- What you can expect during your treatments
- Your individualized care
- How many sessions you may need
- Whether any alternative treatments may complement your care
If you would like to know more about how a chiropractor in Bowie, MD can help you, please call Mid-Atlantic Spinal Rehab & Chiropractic.
Chiropractic Treatment for Sciatica
Have you been diagnosed with sciatica, or have the symptoms of the condition? Are you seeking a treatment that does not involve medications or invasive surgery? If so, a Bowie, MD chiropractor may be able to help you.
In the United States, at least 3 million people are living with sciatica. The condition includes chronic nerve pain that begins in the lower part of the back and extends into the back of the legs. For some people, the problem is so severe that they cannot stand or sit.
Understanding the Sciatic Nerve
The sciatic nerve is the longest in the body. Rather than being one nerve, it is a group of five nerves that exit around the lumbar spine and sacrum. Here, the nerve travels down each leg and supports the strength and support of the limb. This nerve is also attached to the spinal cord and all major muscles within the leg. If the nerve becomes pinched or crushed, it will cause tingling, weakness, numbness, and pain.
Sciatica Is a Broad Range of Symptoms
As a chiropractor Bowie, MD has to offer might explain to you, sciatica is not one single condition. Instead, it is a set of symptoms that tend to be related to a cause such as:
- Spinal stenosis
- Herniated disc
- Slipped disc
- Piriformis syndrome
- Sports injury
- Exercise-related injury
- Wear and tear
- A car accident
- + More
Possible Risk Factors
No one is immune to the possibility of experiencing sciatica nerve pain. However, sports players, yoga practitioners, and older people have an increased risk. As a chiropractor in Bowie, MD might explain, herniated discs are one of the primary causes of sciatic. In addition to this, obesity and being overweight is a probable cause, and those who have diabetes.
Supporting Research that Demonstrates Chiropractic Treatment’s Ability to Treat Sciatica
In 2006, the well-respected Spine Journal published the results of a study that demonstrated chiropractic adjustments to alleviate some or all of sciatic pain. A follow-up study published in 2010 showed that at least 60 percent of participants, who were unable to find relief through conventional treatment, had successful results when utilizing chiropractic care.
Getting Treatment from Mid-Atlantic Spinal Rehab & Chiropractic
If you have sciatic nerve pain and are looking for effective relief, please call Mid-Atlantic Spinal Rehab & Chiropractic to schedule an appointment with a chiropractor in Bowie, Maryland. We will assess your symptoms in a comprehensive exam and help you to explain what options are available. Many patients notice a difference within the first or second adjustment. Between two and six, or more, sessions may be needed to find full relief. In addition to chiropractic adjustments, your Bowie, MD chiropractor might recommend natural herbs, electro-stimulation, massage, and light exercises.
To learn more about Mid-Atlantic Spinal Rehab & Chiropractic, or to schedule an appointment with a chiropractor in Bowie, MD, call us today.
More About Chiropractic Care
Seeking treatment from a chiropractor Bowie, MD pain sufferers recommend may be the best way to receive treatment for the ailments you are suffering from. There are many reasons to consider treatment from Mid-Atlantic Spinal Rehab & Chiropractic. We know that many may question chiropractic care and its ability to provide patients with as many benefits as it does. However, by locating an experienced chiropractor in your area, you can take full advantage of treatments. Our services can provide you with treatments that can assist patients who are either recovering from injuries are suffering from chronic, ongoing pain.
Why Seek Treatment?
There are several reasons to seek chiropractic treatment. When the body is not in proper alignment, a number of problems may result, including pain and an impacted range of motion, along with several other issues. Reasons to seek treatment include:
- Pain that only gets worse over time
- A non-invasive solution for treatments
- Your daily life has been impacted
- The ability to get to the root of the problem
There are many reasons to seek treatment. However, many may have trouble grasping the real benefits, which is why connecting with our office will be critical. We will help answer your questions and truly understand why our services can help you.
Reasons Many Question Chiropractic Care
It should come as no surprise that many may question chiropractic care, not believing in the reality that these types of treatments can genuinely benefit patients. The following are common reasons many may question chiropractic care:
- It’s too expensive
- Once you start, you won’t be able to stop
- Chiropractic care is unsafe
- Chiropractors only treat back issues
While there are many naysayers, we are confident that by meeting with our experienced professionals, you will not only be set at ease but will provide yourself the opportunity to benefit from the treatments we provide.
One of the primary reasons to seek treatment from a chiropractor is the ability to take advantage of the specified treatment that we provide to our patients. Chiropractic care offers treatments that may be considered unconventional. However, over the years, chiropractic care has become incredibly popular, which can largely be attributed to the results achieved from treatments. For our team, you can expect:
- Our guidance to help you improve your health and wellness
- Practitioners dedicated to determining the root of the issue and providing you with treatments that will help you in recovery
- The opportunity to live your life free from pain
- Natural treatments, offering a way to free yourself from over the counter and prescription medications
- Minimally invasive, effective treatments that provide results
At Mid-Atlantic Spinal Rehab & Chiropractic, our practitioners can assist you by treating the injuries and ailments you are suffering from. When someone is experiencing pain, they deserve every opportunity to achieve the best possible results. Because of this, it’s critical to take advantage of the services we provide our patients. To get started, schedule a consultation with our Bowie, Maryland chiropractor as soon as possible.
Qualities to Look for in a Chiropractor
If you’re experiencing chronic pain, it may be a good idea to see a chiropractor Bowie, MD residents trust. However, with all the different chiropractors out there, how do you choose the right one? Here are some of the qualities you should look for in a chiropractor:
- Good Communication Skills: A good chiropractor should know how to effectively communicate with patients. He or she should ask you many questions about your condition and the symptoms you’re experiencing. Your chiropractor should also be able to explain things in words you can understand. If he or she uses too much jargon, you may want to go with someone else.
- Specific Experience: Not all chiropractors specialize treating the same conditions. It’s important to find a chiropractor who has specific experience treating your type of condition. For instance, if you suffered whiplash in a car accident, you should go to a chiropractor who has many years of experience treating whiplash. This way, he or she will know the exact types of treatments you will require to feel better.
- Good Bedside Manner: It’s not enough for a chiropractor to be trained and skilled. This healthcare professional should also possess good bedside manners. He or she should show you compassion and make you feel comfortable. If you feel comfortable, you are more likely to loosen up during your treatment and have better results.
- Passionate: It is also important for a chiropractor to be truly passionate about his or her profession. The chiropractor should truly enjoy what he or she does for a living. The more passionate a chiropractor is, the better job he or she will be able to do for you.
- Honest: As with all other professions, it’s critical for a chiropractor in Bowie, MD to be honest. After evaluating your condition, he or she should be completely honest about how long the treatment may take and if you can make certain lifestyle changes at home to improve your condition. Additionally, if your chiropractor doesn’t feel like you’re making the effort to improve your condition at home, he or she shouldn’t hesitate to speak up.
- Good Reputation: A good reputation is another important thing to look for in your chiropractor. Look up a chiropractor’s patient reviews on sites like Yelp before you schedule an appointment. Make sure that he or she has more positive reviews than negative ones.
“I love this place. They helped me get back to 100% in no time. And the receptionist Ms. Laura is the best. So if you have a bump or bruise you need straighten out, I highly recommend these guys.”