Chiropractor Annapolis, MD
Do you suffer from ongoing stiffness or pain in your back? If so, you should call a chiropractor Annapolis, MD has to offer, such as Mid-Atlantic Spinal Rehab & Chiropractic. We provide people of all ages with a non-invasive, effective treatment known as chiropractic adjustments. These treatments are a drug-free option that can alleviate or reduce back pain.
During an adjustment, a chiropractor will carefully align the vertebrae in your spinal column. These adjustments are done through various techniques, movements, massage, and other specialized maneuvers. In general, there will be no pain; however, there may be a slight degree of discomfort. Most people who have seen a chiropractor will agree that the treatments offer an astounding number of benefits without having to go through invasive treatments.
Chiropractic care is multifaceted and can address many different areas of your health. Whether you have chronic or acute pain, headaches, nerve problems, or other conditions, a chiropractor in Annapolis, MD, may help you.
BENEFITS OF A CHIROPRACTOR
There are many benefits to seeing a chiropractor. Some of these include:
- Back Pain Can Be Reduced: The majority of adults work hard, stay seated for long hours, engage in excess activity, or place strain on their bodies. All of this can lead to back pain. At least 1 in 2 adults will have had some back pain by the time they reach 40 years of age. A great deal of this pain is the result of spinal misalignments. These vertebrae misalignments can place pressure onto the spinal column and nerves; thereby, result in pain. A chiropractor can evaluate your skeletal structure and perform different tests to identify the pain’s cause.
- Headaches Can Be Relieved: Migraines and headaches are two of the most common issues that a chiropractor in Annapolis, MD, treats after back pain. According to one study, 25% of patients who saw a chiropractor for headaches treatment had a 90% reduction in their frequencies. The same study showed that 50% had a significant reduction in their headache pain.
- Blood Pressure Can Be Reduced: Chiropractic adjustments are said to have, according to a study published in the Journal of Human Hypertension, the same amount of effectiveness in improving blood pressure as medications. A large number of doctors will recommend chiropractic treatment first before any medical approach. This is partly related to the side effects that most of the blood pressure medication has on people.
- Inflammation Can Be Reduced: Inflammation is one of the primary causes of muscle tension, joint problems, and ongoing pain. A chiropractor can evaluate the inflamed areas of the body and treat them to reduce any chronic inflammation. This can result in an elimination of pain.
- Herniated Disc Treatment: One of the most painful back issues that Maryland residents suffer from are herniated discs. Also referred to as a slipped disc, this condition can cause pain in both a patient’s lower back and legs. If you are suffering from a herniated disc, a chiropractor Annapolis, MD, trusts can help.
What Are Herniated Discs?
In between the vertebrae are soft and rubbery discs that act as a cushion between each vertebra’s spaces. The discs are made up of a jelly-like substance inside and surrounded by a tough substance on the outside. These discs protect the spine and act as shock absorbers whenever a person walks, runs, bends, twists, or jumps. Any tear to the disc’s outer layer can cause the soft tissue inside to protrude out, thus causing the herniation.
When the herniation of the disc is a minor one, a patient may not even have any noticeable symptoms. But when the herniation is larger, the disc ends up pressing against nerves located in the spine, which causes all the pain and other symptoms.
As an Annapolis, MD chiropractor can explain, there are many reasons why herniated discs occur. Sometimes, it results from a fall or injury, but in many cases, the herniated disc is caused by wear and tear to the disc that is just a natural part of the aging process. As we get older, the discs become flatter, stiffer, and more susceptible to tearing. Gender may also be a factor in whether a person develops a slipped disc. Studies have shown that men, especially those between the ages of 20 through 50, are more prone to the condition.
Some of the other issues that can increase the risk of a person suffering from a herniated disc are:
- Being overweight or obese
- Engaging in hours-long driving regularly
- Engaging in work or activities that are physically demanding
- Lifting with back muscles instead of leg muscles
- Not exercising enough
Herniated Disc Symptoms
How does a patient distinguish whether pain in their back is just from doing too much activity or if it is a sign of a herniated disc? Depending on where the slipped disc is located, there are usually other symptoms that signal the severe condition.
When the herniated disc is located in the lower back – one of the most common locations – in addition to pain, the patient may also be suffering from numbness, tingling, and weakness in their back, legs, and feet. This is because the disc is pressing on the nerves running to the legs. Many patients complain of worsening symptoms when they have been sitting or standing for an extended period, and they also often become worse at night.
The herniated disc can also be located in the neck area. Some of the more common symptoms in this situation include pain that runs to shoulders, arms, and hands. The patient often suffers numbness, tingling, and weakness in these areas, as well.
Call Our Office Today
If you are suffering from a herniated disc, an Annapolis, MD chiropractor from Mid-Atlantic Spinal Rehab & Chiropractic can help. Call our office to schedule a consultation and learn all the different treatment options we offer.
Frequently Asked Questions About Chiropractic Care
Seeking the services of a chiropractor Annapolis, MD pain sufferers recommend may be a way of providing them with the relief they require. Pain may be extensive and even debilitating, which is why the help of Mid-Atlantic Spinal Rehab & Chiropractic may be the most viable option for treatment. We will work closely with our patients to develop a treatment plan that meets their specific needs. As a provider, we know that prospective patients will have various questions, especially those who have never received treatment from a chiropractor before:
What injuries or ailments can a chiropractor treat?
Many do not realize that a chiropractor can assist in providing treatments for many health issues. Not only will our team work to treat the symptoms you are suffering from, but we will also work towards getting to the root of the problem so that you can experience the best results possible. Our patients often seek treatment from us for:
- Herniated Disk
- Back Pain
- Chronic Pain
- Neck Pain
- Sports Injuries
Will I require medication if I am accessing chiropractic treatments?
One reason many access chiropractic care is to obtain treatments that are natural and free from over the counter or prescription pain medication. While treatments may certainly provide patients with the opportunity to access treatments free from mediation, this will depend upon your pain levels and how you respond to treatments.
Will I experience pain during a chiropractic adjustment?
One of the top concerns new patients have is whether they will experience pain when receiving a chiropractic adjustment. Typically patients do not experience pain when receiving an adjustment. Remember that your Annapolis, MD chiropractor, is experienced and trained in this area of practice. At most, patients may experience pops and cracks and mild pressure, often followed by relief.
What are the popping sensations that I might hear during an adjustment?
While the popping sound can be alarming, it’s nothing to be concerned about. This sound is called joint cavitation. This occurs when air pockets are released.
How often will I need to seek care from a chiropractor?
Chiropractic adjustments provide many benefits, yet, some may have concerns over how they may need to undergo treatments. While the length of treatments may range, keep in mind that your chiropractor will aim to reduce treatments over time slowly, and as you experience improvement. Patients may start by attending regular appointments with a chiropractor that tapers off over time. Some patients may see a chiropractor once a week, while others may only require care every few weeks or even once a month.
How long does an adjustment take?
Typically your first appointment with a chiropractor may take longer than subsequent appointments. This is primarily because your chiropractor will want to learn more about your medical history, assess your issues, and develop a treatment plan that provides you with the best treatment possible. Follow up appointments are relatively short and may take anywhere from 15-30 minutes.
Mid-Atlantic Spinal Rehab & Chiropractic are dedicated to helping our clients achieve the best possible results through non-invasive treatments. Our team will work closely with you to provide you with customized treatments to suit your particular needs. Get started today by scheduling an appointment with our Annapolis, Maryland chiropractor as soon as possible.