Neck Pain Doctor Dundalk, MD
The neck is made up of seven small vertebrae, which is why it is also referred to as the cervical spine. The neck is responsible for supporting the head, which can weigh approximately 10 to 12 pounds. It allows the head to move in all directions, but this ability also makes the neck prone to injury and pain.
At Mid Atlantic Spinal Rehab & Chiropractic, each neck pain doctor in Dundalk, MD has extensive experience helping patients obtain a pain-free life. There are many reasons for that the team at our clinic see every day. Some of the more common causes include:
- Accidents: Any quick, forced movement of the neck or head that results in a jerking motion from one direction to the other can cause whiplash. Think of the way a whip looks as it is being cracked. That’s the same whipping motion the neck makes that causes whiplash injury. As the motion is occurring, the muscles react to the jerking by contacting and tightening. This can cause muscle fatigue that triggers that stiffness and pain that many whiplash victims are familiar with. When whiplash is severe, there can be serious damage done to the discs, joints, ligaments, muscles, and nerves. A Maryland neck pain doctor knows that the most common cause of whiplash injury are vehicle accidents.
- Degenerative Disc Disease: This condition can cause a reduction in the height and elasticity of the intervertebral discs of the spine. The results over time are that one or more discs can herniate or bulge. This leaves the patient suffering with pain, numbness, and tingling that runs down into the arm.
- Osteoarthritis: This is a condition that affects the joints and is, unfortunately, very common. The cartilage of the joints deteriorates over time, causing the body to form bone spurs. These spurs affect and limit the motion of the joint.
- Spinal Stenosis: This condition causes the tiny nerve passageways located in the vertebrae to become narrow. This change compresses and traps the roots of the nerves in the area. A neck pain doctor knows that in addition to affecting the neck, a patient’s arm and shoulder could also be affected, causing numbness and pain, as well as leaving the nerves unable to function properly.
- Aging: There are many degenerative disorders that people develop as they grow older that can cause neck pain, including degenerative disc disease, osteoarthritis, and spinal stenosis. Although as mentioned above, these conditions can also affect patients of any age, seniors are more susceptible to developing these conditions as part of the aging process.
- Everyday Life: There are many preventable causes of neck pain that are part of our daily life. A Dundalk, MD neck pain doctor can help evaluate a patient’s habits to determine what may be triggering or contributing to their pain. Some of the more frequent causes include weak abdominal muscles, obesity, and poor posture.
If you are struggling with neck pain, contact Mid Atlantic Spinal Rehab & Chiropractic to meet with a neck pain doctor Dundalk, MD patients recommend to find out how we can help.