Neck Pain Doctor Dundalk, MD
If you are experiencing neck pain, reach out to a Dundalk, MD neck pain doctor now. The neck is made up of seven small vertebrae, which is why it is also referred to as the cervical spine. The neck is responsible for supporting the head, which can weigh approximately 10 to 12 pounds. It allows the head to move in all directions, but this ability also makes the neck prone to injury and pain.
At Mid Atlantic Spinal Rehab & Chiropractic, each
neck pain doctor in Dundalk, MD
has extensive experience helping patients obtain a pain-free life. There are many reasons for having neck pain that the team at our clinic sees every day. Some of the more common causes include:
- Accidents: Any quick, forced movement of the neck or head that results in a jerking motion from one direction to the other can cause whiplash. Think of the way a whip looks as it is being cracked. That’s the same whipping motion the neck makes that causes whiplash injury. As the motion is occurring, the muscles react to the jerking by contracting and tightening. This can cause muscle fatigue that triggers that stiffness and pain that many whiplash victims are familiar with. When whiplash is severe, there can be serious damage done to the discs, joints, ligaments, muscles, and nerves. A Maryland neck pain doctor knows that the most common cause of whiplash injuries are vehicle accidents.
- Degenerative Disc Disease: This condition can cause a reduction in the height and elasticity of the intervertebral discs of the spine. The results over time are that one or more discs can herniate or bulge. This leaves the patient suffering with pain, numbness, and tingling that runs down into the arm.
- Osteoarthritis: This is a condition that affects the joints and is, unfortunately, very common. The cartilage of the joints deteriorates over time, causing the body to form bone spurs. These spurs affect and limit the motion of the joint.
- Spinal Stenosis: This condition causes the tiny nerve passageways located in the vertebrae to become narrow. This change compresses and traps the roots of the nerves in the area. A neck pain doctor knows that in addition to affecting the neck, a patient’s arm and shoulder could also be affected, causing numbness and pain, as well as leaving the nerves unable to function properly.
- Aging: There are many degenerative disorders that people develop as they grow older that can cause neck pain, including degenerative disc disease, osteoarthritis, and spinal stenosis. Although as mentioned above, these conditions can also affect patients of any age, seniors are more susceptible to developing these conditions as part of the aging process.
- Everyday Life: There are many preventable causes of neck pain that are part of our daily life. A Dundalk, Maryland neck pain doctor can help evaluate a patient’s habits to determine what may be triggering or contributing to their pain. Some of the more frequent causes include weak abdominal muscles, obesity, and poor posture.
Chiropractic Care and Neck Pain: Your Questions Answered
Chiropractic care is a time-tested and proven healing practice, yet a substantial amount of confusion and questions still remain in need of answers from potential patients. While most natural forms of healing are widely accepted globally, America’s focus is on the westernized medicine method of treating symptoms, which often means natural treatment for illness and disease is viewed with skepticism.
At Mid Atlantic Spinal Rehab & Chiropractic, we encounter a large number of questions from patients regarding the efficacy and usefulness of chiropractic care. Our Dundalk neck pain doctor welcomes the opportunity to educate and spread awareness about this natural form of medical care that can do so much and help so many. Typically, we encounter a few questions repeatedly, which are answered below. Of course, you may have many more questions, so feel free to call, stop in, or schedule a consultation to get the answers you seek.
Do I need a referral to see a chiropractor?
In this time of insurance dictating which treatments you can or can’t seek for your condition, it is reasonable to assume that you will need a referral to see someone who had a specialty focus in a particular area of medicine. However, this is not usually the case with chiropractic care. Most of the time, patients can schedule their own appointment with a chiropractic professional and Dundalk, MD neck pain doctor of their choice. Some insurance plans may have referral requirements, however, so it is best to check with your insurance provider to be sure. Better safe than sorry.
Are chiropractors licensed physicians?
Many people are confused about whether or not chiropractors are actually doctors. In truth, chiropractors are licensed doctors with many years of healthcare education and training. Furthermore, the requirements that must be fulfilled to become a doctor of chiropractic medicine are among the most stringent. A chiropractor completes a pre-medical undergraduate degree with science-based courses such as biology, chemistry, and psychology then goes on to four to five years at an accredited chiropractic college. By the time a chiropractor is licensed to treat you, they have been thoroughly educated and trained.
Do chiropractors only treat back pain?
Chiropractic care is much more versatile than the often poorly understood “crack your back” treatment modality. Spinal adjustments are a large part of what chiropractic physicians do, and this methodology can do much more than just move a few spinal bones around. While chiropractic care is not a cure-all, it is important to consider just how crucial your spine, which houses our spinal cord and the nerves that emerge from it, is to maintain your health. All those nerve impulses from the spinal cord help the brain and body communicate with one another and trigger vital functions and processes.
If you suffer from pain, lost mobility, and other health conditions, we invite you to discover the benefits of our chiropractic care for yourself. We’re always happy to help individuals discover their own path to health and wellness. If you are struggling with neck pain, contact Mid Atlantic Spinal Rehab & Chiropractic to meet with a neck pain doctor Dundalk, MD patients recommend to find out how we can help.