If you suffer from sciatica, it is important to seek sciatica relief in Bowie, MD from Mid-Atlantic Spinal Rehab & Chiropractic. You do not have to live with this discomfort forever. The sooner you seek treatment, the sooner you can live a normal life again.
Common Symptoms of Sciatica
Sciatica is pain that occurs along the sciatic nerve, which extends from your lower back through your hips and buttocks and down each leg. The pain can feel like anything from a mild ache to a sharp pain. Typically, just one side of the body is affected. You may also experience tingling, numbness or muscle weakness in the affected leg.
Treatments for Sciatica
If you have sciatica, you have multiple treatment options. Here are several treatments that your doctor may recommend.
- Cold packs. Cold packs can relieve many types of ailments, including sciatica. When you feel discomfort from sciatica, place an ice pack on the affected area for up to 20 minutes several times a day.
- Stretching. There are multiple stretches you can do at home to relieve sciatica pain. Some of these stretches include the sitting pigeon pose, standing hamstring stretch, sitting spinal stretch and scissor hamstring stretch.
- Steroid injections. For some people with sciatica, injecting a corticosteroid medication into the affected area may provide relief. These medications ultimately suppress inflammation around the irritated nerve. The effects generally last a few months.
- Spinal adjustments. Another type of sciatica relief in Bowie, MD includes chiropractic spinal adjustments. An adjustment can restore spinal movement, which can relieve your pain.
- Surgery. With the most severe cases of sciatica, surgery may be necessary. Patients who have severe weakness or loss of bowel or bladder control may benefit from undergoing surgery. During the procedure, a surgeon will remove the bone spur that’s affecting the pinched nerve.
- Massage. Massages do not just help you feel relaxed. They may also help improve your sciatica. A professional massage can increase blood circulation and relax tight muscles, which can reduce your pain.
Getting Ready for Your Appointment
If you are seeing a healthcare professional for your sciatica, it is important to be prepared. Write down your symptoms and how long you’ve been experiencing them. It is also important to list your medical information, like other medical issues you have and the current medications you take.
Schedule an appointment for sciatica relief in Bowie, MD today.