Chiropractor – Baltimore County, MD
More and more, people are starting to understand that too much sitting is challenging to their health. Sedentary behaviors, such as sitting at a job all day, sitting at home in front of the television, or sitting while playing video games, can be harmful to your health. At Mid Atlantic Spinal Rehab & Chiropractic, our Baltimore County, Maryland chiropractor team cares about your health and want to help you make the healthiest choices possible. If you are worried that you are sitting too often, there may be a few things you can do to improve your circumstances.
Quite a few serious health concerns are associated with sitting too much, many of which may surprise you. These can include:
- Increased risk of type 2 diabetes
- Cardiovascular disease
- Cancer and cancer-related death
- And more
Unfortunately, many people spend a good portion of their day at work, performing jobs which rely increasingly on using computers and other technologies. This can mean they sit at a desk for eight hours a day through no fault of their own. Even more troubling is that daily exercise may not negate the harmful effects of too much sitting as much as you might think. So, when considering the best way to prevent health hazards brought on by a sedentary job, it is important to move as much as you can, when you can. In addition, it can be helpful to work with a Baltimore County, MD chiropractor to undo some of the damage done when you are required to sit for long periods of time.
Incorporating movement into your workday
Getting daily exercise is important, but it is also crucial to be mindful and intentional about including movement throughout your workday. You may want to try pacing around the office while you are catching up on emails. Or, you might want to put reminders on your calendar which remind you to stand or stretch at certain times of the day. Increasing activity at your job is not only an excellent way to burn calories and feel better in the short term, but can help to prevent more severe diseases in the long run.
Although it takes mental discipline, it is worth the effort to stand for prolonged periods, walk daily, and exercise frequently. It is also necessary that your body is physically capable of performing these tasks. For some people, nagging back, hip, or leg pain can make the spending additional time on their feet nearly impossible. The good news is that therapies such as chiropractic treatment are available, which can help people get back on their feet without discomfort. If you think you may benefit from this kind of assistance, a Baltimore County, MD chiropractor can help.
Ways to prevent the need for chiropractic care
Alongside incorporating movement into your everyday routine, other strategies you can use include:
- Working with a personal trainer: Especially if you’re planning on increasing the intensity of your workouts, hiring a personal trainer can help your exercise routine reach the next level. The right personal trainer will help you by motivating you, showing you what exercises to use, and helping you participate in a healthy diet.
- Having a healthy diet: While you don’t have to completely give up on the occasional ice cream cone or cookie, having a healthy diet will greatly improve your physical health and prevent the risk of back, neck, or spine injuries.
- Avoid bad habits: Bad habits like smoking, excessively drinking, or binge eating should all be avoided.
- Staying hydrated: Be sure to drink enough water throughout the day.
- Getting enough sleep: Most adults require at least eight hours of sleep every night. Try to set a bedtime routine to achieve these results.
- Practice good posture: Poor posture like slouching can greatly increase the risk of injuries to your neck, back, or spine.
- Stretch throughout the day: Especially if your job involves being behind a computer all day, take a few minutes every hour to do some light stretches.
How Many Chiropractic Sessions Will I Need?
Every patient and patient’s body is different and the number of sessions needed might depend upon factors like the severity of the injury (if applicable) and the patient’s age and overall medical condition. Some patients may even find that their injury or medical condition only requires a couple of sessions. Other patients, however, may need to incorporate regular chiropractic sessions throughout their lifetime. Most patients generally require four to 10 sessions spread out across ten weeks.
How Long Does a Typical Session Last?
While 10 chiropractic sessions or more might sound daunting for many patients, the truth is that the actual chiropractic sessions themselves typically don’t last very long. Most chiropractic sessions may only last 10 minutes and some sessions may even only last five minutes as a routine is established. The first session, however, may last 30 minutes or longer. The reason why the first session is so long is due to:
- Filling out paperwork
- Your chiropractor asking you important questions such as your family’s medical history
- Your chiropractor assessing any injuries
- Your chiropractor formulating a specialized treatment plan
Who Can Benefit From Chiropractic Care?
Sometimes there’s a misconception that chiropractic care is only useful for patients that have experienced recent injuries or older patients. However, many parties can benefit from chiropractic care. In fact, chiropractic care is a useful tool that can prevent injuries to the back, neck, and spine. Some patients even incorporate chiropractic care into their regular routine to prevent injuries and improve their physical health even when they don’t necessarily feel any injuries.
How can chiropractic care help combat a sedentary lifestyle?
Chiropractic care offers many benefits that can help combat a sedentary lifestyle, including:
Relief from pain
Chiropractic manipulations and other related treatments care can reduce chronic back, neck, leg, and foot pain. If pain is the reason why you cut walks short or reduce time standing up, chiropractic care may help.
Improved flexibility, increased range of motion, and improved posture
Proper movement and keeping the body loose is crucial for preventing injuries. Improving your flexibility can allow you to move freely without impairment, which may cause you to spend more time off of your feet. Our qualified Baltimore County, MD chiropractor team can adjust your spine and joints so that you can stretch and move easier.